[network-health] Upgrade your 'SatoshiNakamoto' Tor relay?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun Oct 6 06:40:28 UTC 2019

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 03:00:17PM +0000, Tomas Vanagas wrote:
> Thanks for a mail. The problem is that ubuntu repository does not update their package.
> I???m keeping my server up to date, but I noticed that long time ago they do not update.
> Interestingly my node which is on OVH server - it took more updated version.
>

> Could you recommend how i should update the tor software?

It sounds like you're on Ubuntu 18.04, aka bionic?

You're right, Ubuntu included Tor in their "universe" set of packages, and
then never updated. It's very upsetting, but they did it, so here we are.

We have our own deb repository at deb.torproject.org which you can use
to get a proper Tor deb for bionic.

The old instructions are here:
https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/debian#ubuntu
and the newer version of the instructions, which in theory ought to be
the same but actually isn't (so looking at both might be helpful if you
get confused), is here:
https://support.torproject.org/apt/tor-deb-repo/

Hope this helps!
--Roger