[network-health] Upgrade your 'treeltor' Tor relay?

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun Oct 6 05:54:07 UTC 2019

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 11:29:28AM -0400, Z/F Posting wrote:
> Thanks for the kick in the butt. I have upgraded the system (including
> Tor). If I ever upgrade from ADSL to fiber increasing the bandwidth will be
> an option.

Great. But, I don't see it running a new version?

That is, the relay appears to still be running, and it appears to still
be running the obsolete version.

> The largest issue I have had is being placed on blacklist which prevented
> getting to some websites altogether (eg. Duke Energy, MonoPrice) and others
> that would claim I was using a proxy (eg. Hulu) or would fail with no error
> message when trying to complete a purchase (eg. Tesla).  I finally tracked
> this down to BrightCloud, if anyone is having a similar problem. They
> should make the bother of differentiating between someone using a proxy and
> someone running a non-exiting Tor relay, but they didn't seem to be
> motivated to. AT&T disconnected my service when I was configured as an exit
> node, due to an abusive Tor user, but at least that was rational.

Yeah, running a Tor relay from the same IP address that you use
for your own traffic can be an adventure sometimes.

I'm glad you aren't running an exit from home anymore -- we actually
recommend against that, because it might take a long time, but eventually,
some new law enforcement person on their first day at the job will
misunderstand the internet and come steal all your toasters. See also
EFF's answer to "Should I run an exit relay from my home?" at
https://2019.www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq

Thanks!
--Roger