[metrics-team] Queries about user statistic on Tor Metrics

Nowshin, Nafisa nowshinn at oregonstate.edu
Mon Aug 16 20:34:13 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am a graduate student at Oregon State University doing research on
digital privacy and security. My advisor (cc’d to this email) is Dr.
Glencora Borradaile. We are trying to use tor metrics data in order to
understand the reason why people are connecting to tor and if it is because
of some external motivation (the topic of our research) or because they are
regular users. Looking at the user statistics available in tor metrics
website, we had a few questions we wanted to clarify.

1. Are the updates offered in the tor browser automatic or can a user opt
not to install them and keep using an older version of the browser?
2. If a user can choose to install an update, is that the count shown on
the graph?
3. What data is represented by "update ping"? How are you getting update
pings by local? Are they not going through the tor server?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Nafisa Nowshin
Graduate Assistant