[metrics-team] IT Outsourcing LLC not recognised

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Jul 7 08:28:04 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-06 18:45, WorldofMatthew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run three non-exit relays but I have that when I try to view the
> Russian one on Tor metrics that the AS number and name are listed as
> unknown when any other look up tool would list it as IT Outsourcing LLC
> (AS 56971).
>
> Relay:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/F69C3E96319B337D8016D377DD79A49B13A89A5B

The likely reason is that our AS database is over 6 months old. We
didn't update it anymore since MaxMind changed access to their GeoLite2
databases:

https://blog.maxmind.com/2019/12/18/significant-changes-to-accessing-and-using-geolite2-databases/

We're still looking for an alternative here:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/metrics/trac/-/issues/32978

In fact, I have been working on comparing another alternative in the
past few days and will post some preliminary results to the tor-relays@
mailing list later today. Unfortunately, that database is rather weak
with respect to AS numbers and names. This might change in the future,
though. We'll see.