[metrics-team] A new home for the Metrics Timeline?

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Fri Aug 28 18:29:45 UTC 2020

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:14:04AM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> > As long as we're having to rewrite parsers, I want to know what you
> > think about combining the main table and the "Unknown" table into one
> > table, by adding an additional boolean column that is called
> > "explained?" or something like that. My original intent behind having a
> > separate "Unknown" table was to obviously mark and make easy to find the
> > entries that are unfinished and need more investigation. But it hasn't
> > worked out that way; entries seem to remain "Unknown" forever and now
> > there are quite a few of them. The drawback of having two tables is that
> > they form two time series which you need to mentally interleave if you
> > are reading the tables in order.
>
> Sounds like a reasonable change. Yes, please make that change.

I've added a `?` column and an explanation at the top. Entries with an
"X" in the `?` column correspond to the old "Unknown" table. I chose a
short string for the column name because GitLab limits the available
horizontal space (the table is cut off in the middle of the "links"
column for me). I chose "X" for the marker because it is easy to search
for with ctrl+F and "match case".

> One thing that you might want to consider is sorting table entries in
> descending order. That's certainly a personal preference, but I'd guess
> that more people look at the most recent (and hence most relevant)
> entries if they don't have to scroll down to the end. Obviously, the
> parser wouldn't have to change for this.

Good idea, I've made the table sorted by reverse date.

> Just let me know when you're ready, and I'll start rewriting the parser.

I'm done with all the format changes I had thought of.