[metrics-team] A new home for the Metrics Timeline?

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Fri Aug 28 08:02:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:37:44PM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> I just created a new GitLab project here:
>
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/metrics/timeline
>
> (The "metrics-" in "metrics-timeline" seemed redundant, and we don't
> have that for other subprojects under tpo/metrics/, so I dropped that.)
>
> I also added you as developer which should in theory give you all
> necessary permissions to push to the new repository.
>
> Does this work for you? Let me know if you need anything else!

I've rewritten the scripts to read/write the Markdown format and
populated the repo:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/metrics/timeline

Does this look like it will work?

As long as we're having to rewrite parsers, I want to know what you
think about combining the main table and the "Unknown" table into one
table, by adding an additional boolean column that is called
"explained?" or something like that. My original intent behind having a
separate "Unknown" table was to obviously mark and make easy to find the
entries that are unfinished and need more investigation. But it hasn't
worked out that way; entries seem to remain "Unknown" forever and now
there are quite a few of them. The drawback of having two tables is that
they form two time series which you need to mentally interleave if you
are reading the tables in order.