[metrics-team] New OnionPerf instances op-??4

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Aug 17 19:15:38 UTC 2020

Hi!

Here's a quick update on OnionPerf instances:

I merged develop into master and put out a new OnionPerf release:

# Changes in version 0.6 - 2020-08-08

 - Update to TGen 1.0.0, use TGenTools for parsing TGen log files, and
   update analysis results file version to 3.0. Implements #33974.
 - Remove summaries from analysis results files, and remove the
   `onionperf analyze -s/--do-simple-parse` switch. Implements #40005.
 - Add JSON schema for analysis results file format 3.0. Implements
   #40003.
 - Correctly compute the start time of failed streams as part of the
   update to TGen and TGenTools 1.0.0. Fixes #30362.
 - Refine error codes shown in visualizations into TOR or TGEN errors.
   Implements #34218.

I also deployed a new set of OnionPerf instances: op-nl4, op-us4, and
op-hk4. These run the latest OnionPerf release _and_ Tor 0.3.5.11.

As of today, these new instances show up on Tor Metrics:

https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html

In particular the onion service measurements are much, much faster with
Tor 0.3.5.11:

https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html?start=2020-05-19&end=2020-08-17&server=onion&filesize=50kb

I'm going to keep op-??3 instances running for a couple more days and
then turn them off.

Next up is some reviewing to get some almost-ready patches merged and
some coding to get some last remaining important features implemented.