[metrics-team] Measuring mobile performance in the Tor network with OnionPerf

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Mon Jun 24 11:39:06 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Details on proposed measurements of Tor performance using mobile
networks have been published now at TMA. This work was a collaboration
between the University of Aberdeen and Tor Metrics.

Title: "Measuring mobile performance in the Tor network with OnionPerf"

Abstract: "The Tor network is the largest public deployed anonymity
network using the Internet. While there has been a longitudinal study
into the performance of the network in progress since 2009, it has only
used vantage points in data centre networks. In this paper we propose
modifications to the performance measurement tool, OnionPerf, to enable
its use for measuring performance from a mobile end-user’s perspective.
We provide initial findings on simulated mobile networks, using two
types of emulated links, using both the public Tor network and in a
private test Tor network."

Link: https://tma.roc.cnam.fr/Proceedings/MNM_Paper_6.pdf

Thanks,
Iain.