[metrics-team] Data Files Country Codes

Daniel Herschel daniel.herschel at valpo.edu
Thu Jun 13 17:29:37 UTC 2019

Hello,

I was looking to do some data analysis and data visualization using your
publicly available datasets (these ones:
https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html), and I had a question regarding
the country column present in a number of the datasets.

The columns documentation says that the country codes are based on GeoIP
addresses.  Using a list a GeoIP address (found here:
https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/codes/iso3166/), I was able to convert
most of these codes to their corresponding country name for ease in reading
on visualizations.

However, I did find some countries that did not have a mapping.  Do you
know what these countries would be/what the codes correspond to?  The image
below shows the codes in question.  (dd, xk, an, cs, du are the specific
codes I am looking at.  NaN means the entry was empty and ?? is your code
for unknown.)

The last part of the image shows the counts for each appearance within the
file (this being the relay_users file).  As you can see, there are many
data points for these codes, so it would be great to know what country they
correspond to.

[image: image.png]

I appreciate any answers you can provide.

Best,
Dan