[metrics-team] New Fallbacks from June 2019

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Jul 2 11:33:18 UTC 2019

Dear Relay Operators,

Thanks to everyone who opted-in their relays as fallback directory
mirrors.

We rebuilt the list of fallbacks in June 2019. [0] The new list
will be released in Tor 0.4.1.4-alpha/rc. It was backported to all
supported Tor releases. [1]

The FallbackDir flags on Consensus Health [2] and Relay Search [3]
might take a week or two to update.

Don't worry if your relay missed out this time. It's still helping
Tor users. And we will rebuild the fallback list again in 6-12 months
time.

We are tracking future fallback changes in this ticket [4].

To opt-in your relays, add a comment to the ticket [4], or reply to
this thread.

If you have multiple relays, you can opt-in as many as you like.
(We picked up to 7 per operator this time, and we may pick more
next time.)

[0]: See:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/app/config/fallback_dirs.inc

[1]: 0.2.9, 0.3.5, 0.4.0, and 0.4.1:
See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases#Current

[2]: https://consensus-health.torproject.org/graphs.html
Which uses stem's cached fallback list at:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/log/stem/cached_fallbacks.cfg

[3]: For example, this relay is a new fallback, but its flag isn't
shown yet:
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/1211AC1BBB8A1AF7CBA86BCE8689AA3146B86423

[4]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30972