[metrics-team] Improving Relay IPv6 - RIPE Grant

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Dec 16 08:17:41 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-13 08:05, teor wrote:
> Hi metrics team,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that RIPE has announced funding for The
> Tor Project to improve IPv6 support on relays. (RIPE is the European
> internet infrastructure organisation.)
>
> https://www.ripe.net/support/cpf/funding-recipients-2019
>
> I don't have the exact details in front of me, but we did include an
> IPv6 metrics component in the grant.

Congratulations! That's great news!

My vague memory is that you included very small metrics tasks in this
proposal, because you had to reduce the budget. I believe that we picked
something that doesn't require changes to our data pipeline. Instead,
you're adding a few new lines to tor descriptors, and we write custom
analysis code to plot some numbers, once or twice in the project time frame.

We're going to include this in the roadmap as a smaller task. But even
if it weren't in the roadmap, we'd likely be able to squeeze it in.

Congratulations again for getting this grant money!