[metrics-team] TorPerf and OnionPerf

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Tue Aug 20 15:54:17 UTC 2019

Greetings Metrics!

If I'm not mistaken, TorPerf/OnionPerf only do bulk download measurements? In
other words, only download a file of a specific size (50K, 1M...) and then
timestamp various timings there.

Does any of those tools have support for non bulk data that is transmitting
burst of data at some random timings?

Tor cell scheduling is, in theory, built to prioritize "quiet circuit" like
let say an SSH session that sees some commands, not rsync type.

Only bulk data download might not show us the full picture of latency on the
network so thus my question.

So that feature of "non bulk data" seems to me like a must have also?

Some context: I'm currenlty investiguating the *inprocess* cell timings and
queue priority within little-t tor which ultimately I would like to correlate
with Torperf data or at least try to find some avenues to understand where
congestion happens.

Thanks!
David

--
22OYsO4jsRaRQWkUKLdtZ3Ol5nzIN+vauQE2JvQ8Q18=