[metrics-team] improving synchronizing changes between onionoo and RS

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Wed Sep 12 09:08:50 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 11/09/18 21:42, nusenu wrote:
> since onionoo and RS is maintained by mostly the same people (irl + karsten) or irl
> probably knows what is happening in onionoo land
> it surprises me that onionoo changes are not directly taken into consideration
> for RS and and that onionoo changes first apparently have to break RS features before they get
> fixed, like today's as_number removal
> that results in RS saying "AS Number unkown" for every relay, something that could
> have been easily avoided by switching to the 'as' field with the deployment of the new onionoo
> version.

We did deploy Relay Search changes alongside Onionoo changes, I thought
I had already made a change for this but I guess I must have imagined it. ):

https://bugs.torproject.org/27652

> I believe there is room for improvement.

I am looking at setting up testing instances for some Metrics services.
Most changes that have broken things are where we've not done
integration testing, for example we've not used the real existing data
from Onionoo in the testing and it has had surprises compared to our
testing data.

We also want to improve testing coverage as you'll see in the
metrics-team@ thread about enabling use of Travis CI.

Thanks,
Iain.