[metrics-team] GitHub + Travis CI for Metrics repositories

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Sep 11 22:58:38 UTC 2018

Hi Iain,

> On 11 Sep 2018, at 21:56, Iain Learmonth <irl at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> I have been playing with using Travis CI with Metrics codebases. In the
> longer term I would like to have automated static code analysis and
> coverage reporting set up for all projects but for now I just have the
> tests being run for one project.
>
> The proof-of-concept is at https://travis-ci.org/irl/onionoo which runs
> the tests in a Docker container and fetches the dependencies from Debian
> packages inside the container.
>
> Could we create the following GitHub repositories:
>
> * torproject/exonerator
> * torproject/metrics-base
> * torproject/metrics-lib
> * torproject/metrics-web
> * torproject/onionoo
>
> These would then be sync'd from git.tpo. Once these repositories are
> created, can you enable Travis CI for them also, but only for branches
> that contain a .travis.yml?

We have set up a GitHub team for each group of repositories:
https://github.com/orgs/torproject/teams
Each team gets "write" access to their repositories, which lets them
cancel and restart Travis jobs.

We can also set up an admin team for metrics, so that you can change
the settings on your repository. (For example, the Travis settings.)

Which metrics team GitHub accounts should be in each team?

We usually turn off most of the GitHub features. But we can't turn off
pull requests. We can add the standard header to each repository:

unofficial git repo -- report bugs/issues/pull requests on https://trac.torproject.org/ --

And link to gitweb.torproject.org.