[metrics-team] Tor relay location visualization

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Sep 10 14:38:50 UTC 2018

On 6 September 2018 at 03:32, nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#map/flag:exit
>>
>> Maybe we need to make it easier to find, or talk about it on the blog.
>>
>> Here's how it's different to the one you linked:
>> * it shows consensus weight by default, not number of relays
>> * it can also track position weights and advertised bandwidths
>> * it can show a map of any relay search query
>> * it's an equal-area projection, which is better for statistics
>> * it's purple :-)
>
> - indeed very hard to find
> - it takes a lot longer to show the mouseover info
> - it does not support zoom and dragging
>
> + you can choose between multiple metrics
> + countries are clickable -> RS results
> (unfortunately it does not perform the original/intended search request)
>
> from a UI perspective I like this map:
> https://lirportal.ripe.net/certification/content/static/statistics/world-roas.html
> it is also not zoomable but ctrl+scrolling works reasonably well

It also doesn't really make sense: I would expect percentages to add
up to 100%. But they add up to ~17%?
I gather this is because 100% of 100% consensus weight and we're only
looking at a portion of that which is exit %, but... still very
confusing.

I agree that the UX of the original map is way better. It feels like a
map I can interact with and explore, not a picture of a map that feels
more like a figure from a paper put on the web.

I sympathize with the concerns Iain raised since consensus-health
shares most of them. =)

-tom