[metrics-team] Tor relay location visualization

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Mon Sep 10 13:38:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 06/09/18 09:32, nusenu wrote:
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#map/flag:exit

One of the big problems with this map is that the data source underneath
is a bit of a hack. The aggregated search features in Relay Search
really should be handled in Onionoo but this isn't something that would
be able to be done in Onionoo until it has a faster (probably relation
database based) backend.

Relay Search is also a single page application, and you have to load the
whole application for it to work, so even if users are not using the map
view they still have to load all of the code associated with it. I
wouldn't want to extend the map too much for this reason.

Saying this, if there are simple things we can do to make it more useful
then these should be trac tickets on the Metrics/Relay Search component.

The mouseovers in the hackertarget map are cool, but I don't think we
have the right data at the right points to do this easily in Relay
Search as it currently is.

I think it is not actually that hard to implement zooming and panning,
it just wasn't a priority when we did the map. How much value would it
add to have it?

Thanks,
Iain.