[metrics-team] Tor relay location visualization

teor teor at riseup.net
Thu Sep 6 00:24:59 UTC 2018

> On 5 Sep 2018, at 13:46, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi metrics team! Check out the world map visualization on
>
> https://hackertarget.com/tor-exit-node-visualization/
>
> I am not enthusiastic about the website as a whole (seems to be selling
> something), but I think the visualization is something worth
> investigating to see if we want to do something like it.
>
> (I have no idea, but it might also be that whoever wrote the code for
> it would be pleased to help us get it going more prominently.)

Relay Search has had a map view since 2017(?):

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#map/flag:exit

Maybe we need to make it easier to find, or talk about it on the blog.

Here's how it's different to the one you linked:
* it shows consensus weight by default, not number of relays
* it can also track position weights and advertised bandwidths
* it can show a map of any relay search query
* it's an equal-area projection, which is better for statistics
* it's purple :-)