[metrics-team] CollecTor Sync

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri May 25 19:59:44 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-25 16:35, Iain Learmonth wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Iain,

> Setting up CollecTor to sync from the primary instance, I noticed that
> for bridge extra-info and server descriptors they all get bundled into a
> single huge file, whereas the bridge statuses are sync'd as individual
> files.
>
> I wondered if this is meant to happen, and why it happens this way if so.

Yes, this is meant to happen. Otherwise, you'd get thousands of files,
each containing one server descriptor or extra-info descriptor.

It's not that much of an issue for statuses that get published once per
hour, which is why they stay as individual files.

You'll find out more about this in the Protocol of CollecTor's File
Structure:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/collector.git/tree/src/main/resources/docs/PROTOCOL

And if you'd prefer to read more about this on Tor Metrics rather than a
text file in a Git repository, help me move #25625 forward.