[metrics-team] Not recommended version alert

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Mon May 7 10:53:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 06/05/18 21:14, ntfs hard wrote:
> I'd like to thank you for your site. It's great! I check my (humble)
> node (almost) every day with it.

Thank you for running a relay! (:

> But it could be better if you can add some information to the "Not
> recommended version alert"(full text below). The main trouble I couldn't
> get any information about severity of the problem: should I shutdown my
> node immediately or I could wait an update from my package vendor. May
> be you could add some information for node keepers: node's release
> notes, dangerous versions, "threat level" and so on. I really tried to
> google it but failed =(

I do have a ticket to fix this text. I was waiting for the backend to
give more information, which it now does.

> PS my node is 0.2.5.16 on Linux and should I switch it down until an
> update or it's OK to keep it going?

This warning indicates that you should update the relay. If the relay
were dangerous, it would not be accepted by the directory authorities.
There should not be any situation in which your relay will be included
in the consensus while the directory authorities know it is affected by
a serious vulnerability.

The following guide will help you to set up automatic updates for your
relay:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide

You can get more help on running your relay from the tor-relays@ mailing
list. This list is primarily for the development and internal
coordination of Tor Metrics (although you are welcome to hang around).