[metrics-team] Daily users of Tor Browser

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Mar 22 14:19:59 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-21 17:55, sajolida wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sajolida from Tails speaking.

Hi sajolida,

> I wanted to have a (rough) number of daily users of Tor Browser to
> compare it to the daily users of Tails (instead of comparing it to the
> daily users of Tor as a whole).
>
> I went up to "Update pings" in "Tor Browser downloads and updates":
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/webstats-tb.html
>
> But I have a hard time interpreting this number from the description of
> the metric:
>
> « Update pings and update requests are requests made by Tor Browser to
> check whether a newer version is available or to download a newer version. »
>
> How often Tor Browser is pinging for updates? Once a day? Every time it
> starts?

Fine question. We need to ask the Tor Browser team. Want to ask them
directly?

> I see a big drop from ~2M to ~1M around January 20 so maybe there was a
> change in the ping policy... or a sudden drop of Tor Browser users?

Another good question. In this case there's a ticket to investigate this
drop, but there's no answer yet. Want to ask on the ticket?

> Once I understand that I'm happy to help you improve the description :)

That would be neat! We have some documentation here, even though that
doesn't answer the questions you brought up:

https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html#webstats

We're already working on improving our documentation. The goal is to
explain our data well enough that others could reproduce it. This will
take a few more months. But we're collecting good questions and ideally
good answers to include in that documentation.