[metrics-team] PrivCount in Tor session in Rome

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Mar 13 11:57:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-13 12:06, teor wrote:

>> On 13 Mar 2018, at 11:41, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi teor,

>> Here's a graph (with and without annotations):
>>
>> https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/partitions-2018-03-13.pdf
>>
>> https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/partitions-2018-03-13-annotated.pdf
>
> 0.3.2 has the expected consensus weight distribution.
> And it's 2 months since 0.3.2 became stable:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases
>
> I would be happy to wait 2 months after a stable release for good statistics.
>
>> Let me know if this makes sense, or which parameters I should tweak.
>
> Can we focus on 0.3.2, and all relays?

That would be 0.3.2 or higher then. And all relays for comparison. Sure!

>> For
>> example:
>>
>> - Different number of groups (currently 3).
>
> Can we try 3 and 5?

Yep!

>> - Different number of simulations (currently 1000).
>
> That's fine.

Or, 40 simulations per consensus = 40 * 24 = 960 simulations in total.

>> - Different number of consensuses as input (currently 1).
>
> We'll be collecting over a day, so please use 24 consensuses.

Okay. Note that I'm simply taking 24 consensuses rather than 1 and
running simulations on that. I'm not tracking how relays stay online
over these 24 hours. That would be a different simulation.

>> Let me know if you want me to try out a different algorithm. The current
>> algorithm simply assigns relays to groups at random.
>
> That seems to get us what we want, let's keep selecting at random.

Alright.

New graph:

https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/partitions-2018-03-13a.pdf