[metrics-team] PrivCount in Tor session in Rome

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Mar 12 19:47:32 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-11 11:32, teor wrote:
>> Just a reminder that we have the PrivCount in Tor sessionĀ at 2pm
>> on the team's day (Sunday).

Hi teor!

I just read the session notes
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2018Rome/Notes/PrivCountInTor
-- thanks for taking notes and posting them!) and have a few
remarks/questions:

 1. It's true that graphs on Tor Metrics only show totals over all
relays/bridges. But keep in mind that some statistics are also shown per
relay/bridge on Relay Search. For example, if we were to move bandwidth
statistics to PrivCount, we couldn't provide bandwidth graphs per
relay/bridge on Relay Search anymore.

 2. What analysis can the metrics team do to help with PrivCount
design/development? There's something in the notes about flags changing
in 24 hour periods or possible partition of relays. Can you elaborate
and make these questions a lot more concrete? Maybe this is something I
can do in the next few days, with enough time for you to discuss more
with irl while you're in Rome?

 3. The notes say that the metrics team will need somebody to analyze
results from PrivCount. I think that's the perfect job for iwakeh. Do
you have early/experimental PrivCount results that you could provide to
iwakeh, to find out whether analyzing these numbers will be something
they're comfortable with or not?

 4. Extending CollecTor to archive outputs from tally reporters is
definitely something we're going to do. Do you have sample data or
specifications that you can share? And what's the timeframe when we
should expect to start archiving this data?

Thanks!