[metrics-team] Major Bridge Failure

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Mar 8 13:23:11 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-08 13:17, Mike Tyrell wrote:
> Hello.

Hello Mike,

> I have noticed some strange activities relating to the Tor bridges and would like to ask if you could give information about what happens to them. The problem is that all bridges randomly drop offline and then come back without reason or warning, is this a false positive due to errors in the metrics tracking service or are the bridges really going offline? You can see evidence of the outage via this stackexchange post - https://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/16807/why-do-bridges-collapse.

It's not the bridges than all drop offline and come back online. It's
the bridge authority having a temporary problem.

Let's go through the most recent events:
 - 2017-12-16: I don't know what happened here.
 - 2017-12-08 to 2017-12-11: The bridge authority was down over the
weekend, but I don't know why.
 - 2017-09-15: The bridge authority was down due to an issue with its
offline master key.
 - 2017-08-14 and 2017-08-15: Temporary bridge authority outage, see
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/metrics-team/2017-August/000441.html

The real issue is that there's just one bridge authority vs. nine
directory authority. These probably fail as often as the bridge
authority, but as long as a majority of them keeps running, everything's
fine.

Hope that helps.