[metrics-team] Bringing back Tor Weather - volunteering developer

Eran Sandler eran at sandler.co.il
Fri Jul 20 20:18:26 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-20 at 20:07 +0000, nusenu wrote:

> Eran Sandler:
> > * Process to generate static feed files (RSS/Atom/JSON/Whatever).
>
> I can imagine that it will not be a static file for very long
> if we want support the feature that the old Weather supported
> ("How long before we send a notifcation?")

Actually, you can, since this feed itself won't be part of the
notification.

If we store a DB of state changes with minimal data (fingerprint + the
type of event that happened etc) it will be used to generate the feeds
as well as to generate the notifications assuming we also have a state
somewhere to know what was the last notification sent.

still, the process runs once an hour so its not part of an ongoing
traffic that is unknown like onionoo might get (though I assume its
heavily cached).

If we want the "simplest" implementation we would simply store a state
of the "last_seen" and if enough time has passed (defineable) we send
alerts.

That's not I'm thinking about, but its something that can be done.

I need to think about it a bit more and see what type of data I should
store in such a DB of change events of a node.

To handle "massive" amounts of data we can decide to store only X
entries per node so that should significantly reduce the amount of data
needed (might even all fit inside a redis DB in-memory).

Eran