[metrics-team] Bringing back Tor Weather - volunteering developer

Eran Sandler eran at sandler.co.il
Fri Jul 20 20:08:38 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-20 at 19:30 +0000, nusenu wrote:

> everytime you fetch
> https://onionoo.torproject.org/details?type=relay&running=true
> you should get all relays that were running at consensus time
> matching the relays_published timestamp and we should do so at least
> once
> an hour, karsten might tell us what is a good time past the hour

OK. Great. I'll start with that.

> as far as I have seen, @torproject.org addresses are aliases.
> tpo does not appear to be running their own email infrastructure
> (IMAP, ...)
> most are just redirects.
>
> If we start with RSS we can worry about this later.

OK. I think its a good start with the feeds and later add email alerts.

> great, let me know when the repo is born

will do.

> depending on how much history you are going to retain per relay the
> DB
> might become big

Let's start and see how it goes. I can store only limited amount of
info as the rest of the data can be fetched from onionoo and augment,
so the "events" DB only has the fingerprint and the type of event - the
rest is fetched in the process generating the feed files.

> > * Process to generate static feed files (RSS/Atom/JSON/Whatever).
> >
> > * Serve these files from a predefined directory structure (probably
> > have the node fingerprint as the filename or part of the path).
> >
> > Since there are only ~8123  relays and ~439 bridges (so total of
> > ~8562
> > nodes to generate feeds every 1 hour or so).
>
> + families

Well, its just storing the family ID I guess, no? or am I missing
something?

> > it shouldn't take more
> > than a simple VPN to do all that.
>
> I assume you meant VPS here.