[metrics-team] Bringing back Tor Weather - volunteering developer

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Jul 20 18:50:00 UTC 2018

Damian Johnson:
>> Lets not replicate checks that can already be done with available services like uptimerobot.com or
>> are already done by dir auths.
>
> Hi nusenu. Sorry, I might be missing something but I'm unsure how
> uptimerobot.com would check tor relays. Unlike stem, it doesn't speak
> the ORPort protocol.

sorry for being unclear. I was not trying to say that uptimerobot covers
everything that your stem script does. uptimerobot just checks if it can
establish a TCP connection to the ORPort listener - so it detects if
tor died or if it is not reachable.

Do you see any error condition that is detected by your stem script
that is not detectable by using consensus or onionoo data?
(and that error condition happened already once to your relay)

I assume such error conditions are rare?

> That said, completely agreed that a simple consensus check should come
> first. Probing means added (albeit marginal) additional traffic on
> relays so no reason not to start with the cheaper copnsensus check.
> Just an option ('health check probe'?) for a new Weather incarnation.

I would prefer a more specific name since 'health' is generic an can mean a lot :)

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu