[metrics-team] Bringing back Tor Weather - volunteering developer

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Fri Jul 20 11:19:00 UTC 2018

Eran Sandler:
> On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 21:40 +0000, nusenu wrote:
>>
>> with regards to verified ContactInfo:
>> I'm envisioning a future where all forms of contact information
>> (email, twitter, PGP key, ..)
>> as defined in the CISS spec [1] are verified by a bot upon request
>> and once they are
>> verified they are displayed differently on Relay Search.
>
> Some of it can be verified (rather) easily with a bot, similar to how
> Keybase does that.

We should only aim to verify easily verifiable fields.
One special case comes to mind that might needs some special handling:
relay operator putting "tor-relays at lists.torproject.org" (or other public lists)
in their ContactInfo field...
(in the specific case of tor-relays this might not be a problem since it would require
subscribing the verifier bot to the list but other lists probably don't require subscribing first)

>> but Tor Weather can NOT be based on this data only since everyone can
>> subscribe
>> to every relay (not just the operator can subscribe to his own
>> relays)
>
> I agree that Tor Weather doesn't have to work only on specifying an
> email and a node fingerprint. There might be a place for 2 such things:
> 1) For actual node operators - Tor Weather can communicate a bit more
> information that is relevant to them, such as newer versions or some
> other suggestions based on the information available via Onionoo.
>
> 2) Any one wishes to "listen" to changes in the state of an active
> node.

I wouldn't differentiate between what we send to operators vs. other subscribers
since it is public data anyway and it increases complexity?

Since the metrics team did not comment on this thread I guess
the next step is that you assign this ticket to yourself
and outline on trac what you are planing todo (programming language,
used data sources, requirements, goals, ...)

https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu