[metrics-team] Bringing back Tor Weather - volunteering developer

Eran Sandler eran at sandler.co.il
Tue Jul 17 20:57:21 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-07-12 at 21:40 +0000, nusenu wrote:

> with regards to verified ContactInfo:
> I'm envisioning a future where all forms of contact information
> (email, twitter, PGP key, ..)
> as defined in the CISS spec [1] are verified by a bot upon request
> and once they are
> verified they are displayed differently on Relay Search.

Some of it can be verified (rather) easily with a bot, similar to how
Keybase does that.

> but Tor Weather can NOT be based on this data only since everyone can
> subscribe
> to every relay (not just the operator can subscribe to his own
> relays)

I agree that Tor Weather doesn't have to work only on specifying an
email and a node fingerprint. There might be a place for 2 such things:
1) For actual node operators - Tor Weather can communicate a bit more
information that is relevant to them, such as newer versions or some
other suggestions based on the information available via Onionoo.

2) Any one wishes to "listen" to changes in the state of an active
node.

Eran