[metrics-team] TorDNSEL rewrite using Onionoo

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Mon Jan 8 18:02:02 UTC 2018

Hi,

During 34c3 I discussed with nicoo about the possibility of replacing
TorDNSEL with a lightweight Go DNS server that uses the exit_addresses
field from Onionoo as a data source.

It would appear I had a deep misunderstanding of how the data gets into
Onionoo, it comes from TorDNSEL. ):

nicoo - Writing the server is still a useful thing to do as the Onionoo
protocol will continue to serve the exit_addresses field in the way it
does now, we just need to figure out a different method of getting those
addresses before deployment.

phw - karsten suggested that you would have an idea on whether exitmap
would be a good source for exit addresses? I think it would be good to
have one canonical source of exit addresses and then other tools that
need them can consume Onionoo's output.

For the context from the meeting today where this was briefly discussed:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-01-08-14.29.log.html#l-147

Thanks,
Iain.