[metrics-team] Release planning

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Feb 22 16:13:56 UTC 2018

Hi!

We briefly talked about upcoming releases and assigning tickets to
milestones. The following might be easier to do via email than Trac.

1. metrics-lib 2.2.0

 - That milestone already contains changes related to webstats. Let's
complete those by also including #25329 ("Enable metrics-lib to process
large (> 2G) logfiles").
 - Let's also include two minor fixes to Descriptor[Index]Collector,
namely #24290 ("Use timeout for fetching remote index.json in
DescriptorIndexCollector") and #24153 ("Make DescriptorCollector resume
previously aborted downloads").
 - If we can, let's include #20395 ("Add capability to handle large
descriptor files"), which already led to some confusion, and the likely
related #22678 ("Look into existing Java Collections classes as
replacement for BlockingIteratorImpl") and #24166 ("Make descriptor
reading stoppable").
 - Suggested release date: Monday, February 26

2. CollecTor 1.5.0

 - Similar to metrics-lib, most of the changes so far are related to
webstats. Let's finalize that work by including #25161 ("Fix any memory
problem caused by number of log files to be imported by the webstats
module") and #25317 ("Enable webstats to process large (> 2G) logfiles").
 - Maybe we can take the release as an opportunity to finally do #24291
("Rename CollecTor packages"). We don't have to, though.
 - Suggested release date: Tuesday, February 27

3. Onionoo 5.1-1.11.0

 - Let's put out a release with a few fixes, including #25085 ("Make
order of sorted results deterministic"), #25241 ("effective_family
sometimes contains the relay's own fingerprint"), and #24494
("Specification says nickname is optional in documents but it's always
there").
 - Let's also decide what to do with #25332 ("Change the exit_addresses
field to not exclude current OR addresses anymore") and schedule the
next major protocol version for 1 month after this release.
 - Suggested release date: Wednesday, February 28