[metrics-team] onionoo exit_addresses semantics

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Sat Feb 17 13:08:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 17/02/18 10:27, nusenu wrote:
> I'd prefer the current implementation over one that always includes
> the ORPort IP in the exit_addresses, but either way it is not a
> big effort to add a check on my site that drops exit_addresses
> if exit_addresses consists of the OR Port IP only.

In a future world where TorDNSEL works using Onionoo as the data source,
not including OR addresses that have been seen to be used as exit
addresses in exit_addresses means that, like in teor's case, when an
exit relay doesn't use its OR address for exit connections it would
still be included in the TorDNSEL lists anyway and so would result in
overblocking.

I think improving accuracy is more important than not breaking backwards
compatibility in this case.

Thanks,
Iain.