[metrics-team] Consumed Bandwidth and User Count anomaly

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Mon Dec 3 18:01:22 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 01, 2018 at 03:49:42PM +0000, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> I noticed the bandwidth history data dropped to ~0 between 21-Nov and
> 23-Nov, with a noticable decrease beginning on 20-Nov [0]. The available
> data from 24 and 25 Nov show an overall decrease in throughput compared
> with 19-Nov. Data aren't availabe on 26 or 27 Nov (at this time). Has
> anyone looked into this and discovered what caused the drop?
>
> Similarly, and maybe relatedly, the number of users jumped beginning on
> 26-Nov [1]. This jump is reflected in all of the top-10 countries by relay
> users - except UAE [2]. There is a similar jump in bridge users[3].
>
> Were there any changes implemented on the Metrics infrastructure around
> this time?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> [0]
> https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html?start=2018-11-18&end=2018-12-01
> [1]
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2018-11-15&end=2018-12-01&country=all&events=off
> [2] https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-table.html
> [3]
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-country.html?start=2018-11-20&end=2018-12-01&country=all

Just dropping some archive links so future readers will be able to see
what graph features we were talking about after the graphs get fixed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181203175831/https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html?start=2018-11-18&end=2018-12-01
https://web.archive.org/web/20181203175904/https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2018-11-15&end=2018-12-01&country=all&events=off
https://web.archive.org/web/20181203175932/https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-table.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20181203180000/https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-country.html?start=2018-11-20