[metrics-team] Consumed Bandwidth and User Count anomaly

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Dec 3 09:00:51 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-01 16:49, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> Hi all!

Hi Matt,

> I noticed the bandwidth history data dropped to ~0 between 21-Nov and
> 23-Nov, with a noticable decrease beginning on 20-Nov [0]. The available
> data from 24 and 25 Nov show an overall decrease in throughput compared
> with 19-Nov. Data aren't availabe on 26 or 27 Nov (at this time). Has
> anyone looked into this and discovered what caused the drop?

I noticed the same thing on Saturday, roughly around the time you sent
this message. I looked into the metrics host and found four concurrent
runs updating statistics, which was not supposed to happen. I killed
them all, changed the cronjob from running twice per day to running once
per day, and started a fresh update run.

Since then the update runtime has increased from 5 hours to 18 hours! In
particular the onion-service statistics now have an execution time of 14
hours. I don't know the reason for this, but it's worrisome. I had
opened #25924 seven months ago, and maybe it has just become more urgent.

Regarding the temporary drop, that is caused by the aborted runs. I'd
like to wait a few more days to see if runs at least stabilize at the
higher execution times. Then I'd re-import the missing data.

> Similarly, and maybe relatedly, the number of users jumped beginning on
> 26-Nov [1]. This jump is reflected in all of the top-10 countries by relay
> users - except UAE [2]. There is a similar jump in bridge users[3].

I don't think this is real. There's a brief increase on November 29,
also caused to missing some data, and a one-day gap on November 30. We
have data for December 1, but it's not yet plotted because of the gap on
November 30 and the need for two points to draw a line. As soon as we
have data for December 2, there will be a line again.

Here are the raw numbers, which are also available via the CSV link:

2018-11-20,,1901624,,,99
2018-11-21,,1959206,,,98
2018-11-22,,1917530,,,100
2018-11-23,,1874480,,,99
2018-11-24,,1801991,,,98
2018-11-25,,1805516,,,98
2018-11-26,,1918386,,,99
2018-11-27,,1946122,,,99
2018-11-28,,1969536,,,94
2018-11-29,,2105619,,,67
2018-12-01,,1960112,,,65

> Were there any changes implemented on the Metrics infrastructure around
> this time?

I did make some updates. But none of them were related to the
onion-service statistics module acting up now. I don't yet see the
connection.

> Thanks,
> Matt

Thanks for the report!