[metrics-team] more bridges -> more bridge users?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Sep 19 09:31:23 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-07 02:32, nusenu wrote:
> Hi,

Hi nusenu,

> does the current method of counting bridge users explain why the number
> of bridge users increases when the number of bridges increases or is the
> increase in bridge users real?
>
> https://twitter.com/nusenu_/status/905580044503969792

Sorry for the late reply. The reason is that I don't have a good answer
without studying the aggregation code from a few years ago. :(

But the good news is that we're planning to write specifications for how
we're aggregating data to obtain user numbers, onion service numbers,
and so on. These specifications will be available on Tor Metrics as soon
as they're ready, which is probably a question of months, not weeks.

I'm going to put this question on the list of things that the user
number specification should answer. If you have any other questions that
the specification should answer, and that are not yet contained in this
Q&A text file, please let us know:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-web.git/tree/doc/users-q-and-a.txt