[metrics-team] DirAuth vote names inconsistent

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Sep 11 18:31:07 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

On 2017-09-11 17:21, Tom Ritter wrote:
> I'm looking at https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/votes/
> and it seems the format of a vote file name is
>
> %Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S-vote-[fingerprint]-[random-fingerprint]
>
> Where random-fingerprint is the fingerprint of the dirauth that
> downloaded the vote, but it
> a) changes every hour
> b) only one view is available
>
> The result of this is that if I want to download a vote I need to try
> all the dirauth fingerprints until I find the one that is available.
>
> Is my understanding correct? Is there any way this could be
> deterministic? Perhaps (since we expose only a single vote) we can
> just strip the last fingerprint?
>
> I understand we do this because we want to archive different DirAuth
> views in case they differ but if they do we could expose the different
> file under the viewer fingerprint?

The file name format is actually [datetime]-vote-[fingerprint]-[digest],
where [fingerprint] is the v3 identity and [digest] is the digest of the
vote document (not the identity of the downloading authority).

For example, you'll find all of gabelmoo's votes under v3 identity
ED03BB616EB2F60BEC80151114BB25CEF515B226 (first hex string).

There's also a specification for file names that we're currently hiding
here:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/collector.git/tree/src/main/resources/docs/PROTOCOL#n202

Does that answer your question?