[metrics-team] Are bandwidth charts double counting?

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Oct 16 20:33:27 UTC 2017

I was looking at https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html and
https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.html and was confused a
little by the graph.  Is it double (or triple) counting?

The definitions page says "bandwidth history: the volume of incoming
and/or outgoing traffic that a relay claims to have handled on behalf
of clients."

It's the "and/or" that throws me.

If it's 'and' then the Exit bandwidth history is double counting:
divide by two to get the bandwidth that exits the tor network.

The other question I had, that I don't think we are able to calculate,
is "How many connections does the Tor Network produce".  Obviously it
handwaves over 'connection', but for the browser scenario I'd say
'connections to first party domains'.

exit_streams_opened might be the best measurement to accomplish
something very similar though right? It'd be unique connections to
third party domains (for ports 443 and 80) instead of first party
domains, but that's pretty close.

How would I go about calculating it? Is it as simple as summing this
field across all the extra info descriptors for a given time period?

-tom