[metrics-team] #6662 Metrics/Atlas: Support grouping by family

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Nov 26 23:54:00 UTC 2017

Changes (by irl):

>  * status:  assigned => closed
>  * resolution:   => wontfix
>

> Comment:
>
>  Grouping by family is a hard problem.
>
>  Relay Search supports the following queries:
>
>  Aggregate simple family data in single table row:
>  https://atlas.torproject.org/#aggregate/all/family:FINGERPRINT
>
>  Show all relays in a family in multiple table rows:
>  https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/family:FINGERPRINT
>
>  A details view with aggregated graphs may be added in #23509.
>
>  I think in general this addresses most use cases. A true grouping by
>  family may be enabled by using a database to back Onionoo but until we get
>  there, this is just not implementable.

A short note on the 5 year old feature request that got closed today
(don't read the history of the ticket most comments do no longer apply
today).

Since submitting this feature request a lot has changed and improved in
onionoo that makes family grouping easier than back then if you can
accept a certain level of fuzziness until the backend ticket to solve
that fuzziness is also solved (#21389).

Since MyFamily grouping is non-trivial lets define an approximation of a
family that appears to work in practice [1]:
A family is defined by the sorted (fingerprints in the effective_family
members + the relay's own fingerprint).

Since you are already grouping by AS (>1100 distinct ASes) and there are
only >400 distinct families by that definition I assume this would be
just as simple as implementing AS and CC grouping when effective_family
data would be normalized (that could be done in onionoo)?

by normalize I mean: effective_family includes the relay's own
fingerprint and FPs are sorted

[1] https://nusenu.github.io/OrNetStats/maincwfamilies

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6662#comment:22

--