[metrics-team] announcing new onionoo releases here before deployment?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Nov 19 10:19:21 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-19 01:28, nusenu wrote:
> Hello,

Hi nusenu,

> there used to be emails about new onionoo versions being deployed on the
> discontinued mailing list.
>
> Would it be possible to announce new onionoo versions 1-2 days before
> they get deployed on this list even though there is a pre-info on the
> website?
> This would be great and help prevent interruptions for onionoo users.

Huh. I was not aware that the recent upgrade to protocol version 4.3
would have caused any interruptions for Onionoo users. Can you be more
specific what parts we broke with this upgrade?

I'm asking, because, in theory, it should only have added new features
and not made any backward-incompatible changes. I'm not ruling out that
we screwed this up, though.

Note that we're taking a very different approach for
backward-incompatible changes like the upcoming 5.0 release. That is
going to be announced in a tor-dev@ email on Monday, to be deployed
after December 17, 2017.

Anyway, I'm open to changing the deployment process. What we could do is
put out the release, then send the announcement, then wait 1-2 days, and
then deploy.

A downside is that people would see the announcement when the new
features are not yet available. Let's discuss whether that's better or not.