[metrics-team] Where do the by-transport counts come from in userstats-bridge-combined?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon May 29 08:04:25 UTC 2017

Hi David,

On 24.05.17 23:15, David Fifield wrote:
> I am referring to https://bugs.torproject.org/19544:
>> What we could also do as first approximation is find a lower and upper
>> bound of users by country and transport. The lower bound would
>> probably be defined as something like max(0, PT + CC - 1) (not just 0
>> to account for cases where CC > 1 - PT) and the upper bound as min(PT,
>> CC), even though I could be convinced that other formulas are even
>> more correct.
>
> I thought I understood this but I guess I do not. Does PT come from
> dirreq-v3-reqs and CC from bridge-ip-transports? That wouldn't make
> sense to me, because they are measuring different things. Or is it that
> CC is still using bridge-ips (I don't know the current status of that;
> see https://bugs.torproject.org/18167).
>
> The reason I ask is I would like to explore differences between IPv4 and
> IPv6 usage, and I'm wondering if I can just plug bridge-ip-versions into
> the place of bridge-ip-transports in whatever calculation is necessary.
> (E.g. for a given relay or country, I want a graph showing lower and
> upper bounds for IPv4 and IPv6, just like we have now for transports.)

We're still using dirreq-v3-reqs and either one of the bridge-ip* lines
combined to get the number of requests per country or transport or IP
version.

But you can easily plug in by-version numbers for by-transport numbers
to obtain by-country-and-version numbers, or rather, lower and upper
bounds.  In fact, I believe that you don't even have to touch that part
of the code to create such a graph with current metrics-web.

Here are two metrics-web commits with the relevant changes for numbers
by country and transport:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-web.git/commit/?id=a589b95501a926029a5e826d709e3f5e8c90ab34

https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-web.git/commit/?id=6987c758a13a59f2c9e28af57254fd9972d6b5ee

If you think the result will be interesting for Metrics website
visitors, would you want to start working on a similar patch?