[metrics-team] Integrating Consensus Health graphs onto metrics?

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon May 1 18:31:32 UTC 2017

Over in https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/21882 and
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/21994 we're talking
about adding (and have added) yet more graphs to Consensus Health.

With the graphs in 21994 (and to satisfy 21883) I want to switch from
static graphs to interactive ones.  Specifically, Consensus Health
will have the following (interactive, meaning you choose your
timeframe) graphs:
- Fallback Directories Running
- Relays voted about (Running) by DirAuth
- Relays voted about (Not Running) by DirAuth
- Measured Relays by BWAuth
- [Poorly Named, Suggestions Welcome]: Relay Measurement Distribution by BWAuth
- [Poorly Named, Suggestions Welcome]: Relay Measurement Distribution
by BWAuth by Relay Country (To be Developed)
- [Poorly Named, Suggestions Welcome]: BWAuth to BWAuth Variance
Comparison by Relay Country (To be Developed)

That's a lot of graphs. The ad-hoc graph page I made needs to be
redesign for sure. But should these live (only?) on Metrics?

Right now, Metrics doesn't have any per-dirauth graphs. Adding these
type of graphs (which is all-but-one of the above) may be confusing.
It also doesn't really have graphs that are specifically designed to
be 'Network Diagnostic' - they may fit better on a page designed to be
network diagnostic (consensus-health).

Additionally, I don't have the time to devote to learn the metrics
framework, so I would basically push for integrating the graphs via
the use of cooperative iframes. This would also keep the existing data
segregation between the backend for Metrics, and the
SQLite-generates-CSV-files-for-d3 that I do currently. (The sqlite
backending file is available for download though, at
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/historical.db )

"Thanks but no thanks" seems like a likely outcome but I wanted to at
least raise it for discussion....  And give people the opportunity to
comment on how the page should be redesigned.

-tom