[metrics-team] Unusually slow OnionPerf measurements

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Jul 31 12:29:29 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-22 10:05, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> On 2017-07-20 16:57, Rob Jansen wrote:

>>> Aha.  Well, right, the increase could indeed be real.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Karsten
>>

>> I think the more likely reason is that when we changed to OnionPerf, we added new OnionPerf client vantage points in new geographic locations. The new vantage points would experience unique performance that would affect the median and quartiles reported in the metrics graphs. To check this, we could look at the performance reported by a single vantage point that was running both the old Torperf and the new OnionPerf to see if the performance for that single vantage point changed after switching from TorPerf to OnionPerf.
>
> Hmm, but the increase is also visible on a single OnionPerf host:
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html?start=2017-04-23&end=2017-07-22&source=op-nl&server=public&filesize=50kb

Oh, wow, I have an even better explanation: starting on May 22 we
included requests to both public servers and onion servers in the public
server numbers!

That's why the numbers went up for public servers and the numbers for
onion servers stopped showing up in the graph (as pointed out by Rob).

I'm attaching a graph image from before fixing this.

Then I fixed this in the database, so that the graphs on Tor Metrics are
correct. Here's the same graph as attached but with correct data:

https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html

Wow, that bug was better hidden than expected. Sorry for the confusion!