[metrics-team] onionoo: ExtraInfoStatistics flags

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sun Jan 29 10:16:00 UTC 2017

>> What do you think about adding flags to onionoo's details document
>> that tell you what statistics a relay has enabled / is reporting?
>
> Let's talk about it. :)
>
> What's the use case you have in mind?  Can you describe that a bit here,
> and why this approach is superior to existing approaches?

If understand
"Fraction of relays reporting onion-service statistics"
on
https://metrics.torproject.org/hidserv-frac-reporting.html
correctly, it says "what fraction of relays have HiddenServiceStatistics
set to 1".

I would be interested in what fraction (by exit_probability) of exits
have ExitPortStatistics set to 1?

And similarly to every other Statistics setting.

If I'm not the only one that would find these flags added to onionoo
useful (just on/off not the actual data) and if there are no plans to
add such graphs  to metrics.tpo already it would be nice to have that added.

If I'm in fact the only one I probably should go and use the collector
data to answer the questions above.

> If the main user type you have in mind is folks who monitor the network,
> okay.  Do they use Atlas, or do they query Onionoo directly, possibly
> using their own tools?  In which case it wouldn't be necessary to add
> this information to Atlas, just to Onionoo.

Correct, the second part (onionoo question) was only related to onionoo
not atlas (but once it is in onionoo the atlas part would be simple?)

> Oh, and would we only want to know the binary information whether
> statistics are available or not, or would we want to include the end of
> the most recent statistics interval?

I had only a binary flag in mind 0/1  - na/available.

thanks,
nusenu