[metrics-team] ExtraInfoStatistics visualizing tool? / onionoo: ExtraInfoStatistics flags

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Jan 29 09:54:29 UTC 2017

On 28/01/17 23:32, nusenu wrote:
> Hi,

Hi nusenu,

> are you aware of any tool that visualizes ExtraInfoStatistics on a per
> relay level? (like atlas)

I'm not aware of any such tool, and if there were one, we should add it
to this page:

https://metrics.torproject.org/operation.html

> - CellStatistics (default: off)
>
> - DirReqStatistics (default: on)
> https://metrics.torproject.org/dirbytes.html
>
> - EntryStatistics (default: off)
>
> - ExitPortStatistics (default: off)
>
> - ConnDirectionStatistics (default: off)
>
> - HiddenServiceStatistics (default: on)
> https://metrics.torproject.org/hidserv-rend-relayed-cells.html
>

> What do you think about adding flags to onionoo's details document
> that tell you what statistics a relay has enabled / is reporting?

Let's talk about it. :)

What's the use case you have in mind?  Can you describe that a bit here,
and why this approach is superior to existing approaches?

For example, relay operators could just look at their torrc or use a
local controller to check which statistics are enabled.  And they'd
learn immediately as opposed to having to wait for 24+ hours until
statistics are included in extra-info descriptors until Onionoo learns
about them.  Which would lead to confusions here and there.

If the main user type you have in mind is folks who monitor the network,
okay.  Do they use Atlas, or do they query Onionoo directly, possibly
using their own tools?  In which case it wouldn't be necessary to add
this information to Atlas, just to Onionoo.

Oh, and would we only want to know the binary information whether
statistics are available or not, or would we want to include the end of
the most recent statistics interval?

If you think we should add this feature, feel free to move this
discussion to Trac.

Thanks!