[metrics-team] Tor Explorer Hosting and Domain

Luke Childs lukechilds123 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:47:53 UTC 2017

>> I'm not too sure why but I don't seem to recieve any emails to the
>> mailing list. I signed up here:
>> . Do I need to do something else?
>
> I have no clue.  I see you on the membership list.  Can you try
> subscribing with a second email address at another provider and see if
> that works better?

It’s ok, I was being stupid, I sorted it straight after sending that
message.

>>> However, on second thought I wonder if it wouldn't be faster and
>>> easier to just find cheap hosting somewhere.  If you say you can
>>> cover it, can you cover it for the moment as long as you don't
>>> have thousands of users, and we make a new plan in a few months
>>> from now?
>>
>> Yeah, that's ok. If it's possible to get official support for this
>> in the near future though that would be great. Even $5 a month
>> hosting is about a weeks worth of lunches here!
>
> Okay, let's try to make this happen somehow.
>
>> Do you know the location or the exact datacenter the Onionoo server
>> is hosted in? The closer these two are the better for reduced
>> latency.
>
> It's hosted at Hetzner:
>
> https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/

We’re all good for hosting now. There’s a service called “now” (
https://zeit.co/now) which
I’ve been wanting to play with for a while and I just found out they have a
free tier for OSS
projects. We’re limited to 20 deploys a month which is ok as I’m mainly
developing locally
and 1GB monthly bandwidth which may become an issue. We can deal with
bandwidth issues later,
should be fine for now to get this launched.

> Heh, don't expect good naming suggestions from somebody who found
> Onionoo to be a reasonable name choice.  I like "Explorer", because it
> fits well into the other names, "Atlas", "Globe" (not online anymore),
> and "Compass".  But feel free to pick something else.

Well I already renamed it to “Onionite” the other day so maybe we’re both
equally bad at
choosing names ;)
https://github.com/lukechilds/onionite/commit/cb4e23e1f65a7626c1f037ef56358b505a0dd72a

I’ve got some more features I wanna add but I feel like it’s ready to go
live now, I’ll add
these extra features after launch. I just wanna get some analytics set up
before launching so
I can keep track of usage. I’ve found https://piwik.org/ which looks good
but requires us to
host it. Also looking into rolling my own with the free tier on Keen.io.
Any suggestions for
privacy friendly analytics?