[metrics-team] Tor Explorer Hosting and Domain

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Jan 11 12:40:24 UTC 2017

On 05/01/17 08:41, Luke Childs wrote:
> Hi Karsten,

Hi Luke,

oops, sorry for not responding earlier.  This slipped through somehow.

>> Ah, when I replied three days ago I said "should I ask
>> around...?", but I didn't start asking around.  Hmm, turns out I
>> only replied to the mailing list, so maybe you didn't see my
>> response at all. It's here:
>>
>> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/metrics-team/2017-January/000262.html
>

> I'm not too sure why but I don't seem to recieve any emails to the
> mailing list. I signed up here:
> . Do I need to do something else?

I have no clue.  I see you on the membership list.  Can you try
subscribing with a second email address at another provider and see if
that works better?

>> However, on second thought I wonder if it wouldn't be faster and
>> easier to just find cheap hosting somewhere.  If you say you can
>> cover it, can you cover it for the moment as long as you don't
>> have thousands of users, and we make a new plan in a few months
>> from now?
>
> Yeah, that's ok. If it's possible to get official support for this
> in the near future though that would be great. Even $5 a month
> hosting is about a weeks worth of lunches here!

Okay, let's try to make this happen somehow.

> Do you know the location or the exact datacenter the Onionoo server
> is hosted in? The closer these two are the better for reduced
> latency.

It's hosted at Hetzner:

https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/

>> And can I make one request to the name?  Can you call it just
>> "Explorer" without "Tor" as part of the name?  That will avoid
>> discussions whether this is an official Tor project, and if not,
>> why it has permission to use the trademark.
>
> Yeah sure, "Tor Explorer" was just a generic name for the
> competition entry. I was hoping to relabel it as "Atlas v2" but
> that didn't seem too popular in the metrics meeting. I'm not sure
> "Explorer" on it's own is very explanatory and may be hard to find
> a good domain. I'll have a think for a new name, suggestions
> welcome!

Heh, don't expect good naming suggestions from somebody who found
Onionoo to be a reasonable name choice.  I like "Explorer", because it
fits well into the other names, "Atlas", "Globe" (not online anymore),
and "Compass".  But feel free to pick something else.

>> I'd rather want us all to write code than have those
>> discussions.
>
> Sounds good to me.

:)