[metrics-team] Tor Explorer Hosting and Domain

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Jan 1 08:30:24 UTC 2017

On 27/12/16 09:00, Luke Childs wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

Hi Luke,

> I’ve finished developing the Onionoo API client library for
> Node.js. I think you wanted to link to this on a new website you
> were talking about in the metrics meeting the other week. It’s all
> ready now, you can find the link here:
> https://github.com/lukechilds/onionoo-node-client

Great!  Added a link to the Metrics website prototype here:

http://107.23.39.12/development.html#query

> I’m now continuing development on Tor Explorer (
> https://github.com/lukechilds/tor-explorer).

This one will be listed here:

http://107.23.39.12/operation.html

Patches welcome:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/karsten/metrics-web.git/log/?h=staging

> I’m currently taking a break from work and living on savings so I
> can focus on some OSS projects. Due to this finances are pretty
> tight, I’m trying to live as cheaply as possible to stretch out my
> savings and increase the amount of time I can focus on OSS.
>
> I was just wondering if you would be happy to provide a domain and
> hosting for Tor Explorer?
>
> I think you could add a new sub domain to torproject.org without
> incurring any extra costs. Something like
> torexplorer.torproject.org or maybe just explorer.torproject.org.
> Whatever you think sounds good.
>
> And regarding hosting, if Tor Explorer could be hosted on the same
> server as Onionoo or at least in the same datacenter that should
> massively reduce the latency between the two.
>
> I’m happy to continue working on this either way, just thought I’d
> ask :)

Hmm, or should I ask around in the Tor community for a domain and
hosting until your site has received more user feedback and more
serious review by metrics team folks, and we revisit this discussion
in the second half of 2017?