[metrics-team] worrying about the bug that allows operators to "hide" their relays

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Mon Dec 25 12:27:00 UTC 2017

I'd like to raise concerns about the hotfix for [1].

As far as I understood the comments about the "hotfix" on trac,
it allows (malicious) operators to avoid getting listed in onionoo data.
This is beneficial for entities that try to fly under the ornetradar.
People on bad-relays@ apparently rely also on onionoo (not just consensus data / collector).

Karsten writes on [1]:
> will simply not show up in Onionoo

Would you mind adding a stop-gap solution that sends a notification
to this list or me whenever onionoo excludes such relays so we have
some visibility about how much data we are "loosing" (if any at all)
until a fix is deployed?

thanks,
nusenu

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22594