[metrics-team] From Argentina

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Dec 20 08:29:39 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-19 21:59, Rodrigo Cárdenas Holik wrote:
> Metrics Team,

Hello Rodrigo,

> I am sending you this e-mail message to ask for your kind help.
>
> I downloaded the information for relay user since the beginning of times
> til this very date.
>
> The file was 31.6 Mb so it wasn't large, I imported it to Excel and
> filtered by country type "AR" for Argentina in a pivot table.
>
> Sadly, the daily values don't add up to the graphic shown on the web
> site so either something went wrong or I am reading things wrong.

Did you read the specification of that CSV file?

https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html#clients

If you want to extract the number of directly connecting users from
Argentina on, say, December 1, 2017, here's the line you need:

2017-12-01,relay,ar,,,4917,14724,10651,82

The number is the last but one column, so 10651. Which matches what's in
the graph:

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html

And for the number of directly connecting users from all countries on
that day, you'll want to look at this line:

2017-12-01,relay,,,,,,2997376,82

> Even if I apply a filter before dowloading the file, the same result
> comes up, so a customized search even though available, does not impact
> the resulting ".csv" file.

That's expected, the CSV file does not change when the displayed graph
changes.

> To sum up, all I need to do is to compare values from Argentina against
> the rest of the world, to see if there is a trend in usage, or my
> homeland goes sideways from the rest of the planet's population.

You could always open two browser windows in parallel. Or download two
PNG files and put them next to each other.