[metrics-team] How to use this compass feature on RS?

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Sun Dec 3 00:45:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 02/12/17 00:39, teor wrote:
>> on compass I do:
>> - open compass
>> - click the two checkboxes:
>> [x] group relays by country
>> [x] group relays by AS
>> - number of results: -1
>> - click Submit

You want this:

https://atlas.torproject.org/#aggregate/ascc

> There are at least 4 bugs here:
> A. The URL need not end in %20

This isn't really a bug, it doesn't affect the query.

> B. The page says that Running Relays are assumed, but step 2 is
> required. If running relays are assumed, this field should be removed

The advanced search allows for both searching for individual relays and
searching for aggregations of relays. The type and status apply only to
searches of individual relays.

At the moment we throw an error when an empty search query is submitted.
Instead, it could just return all known relays if that is more useful,
at least for the aggregations.

> C. The "by AS" and "by CC" buttons don't look like a button, at least on iOS

I am now testing updates in Internet Explorer 11 before deploying them.
I do not have an iOS device on which to test. Is it a massive problem?

> D. It's unclear what the "Advanced Aggregation" button is meant to do

Performs an aggregated search instead of a search for single relays.

> But I think nusenu might want another bug fixed:
> E. It is impossible to aggregate by AS and by CC at the same time

The aggregations are organised in a way that you can drill down. From
the "Entire Network" view, you can aggregate by country and then
aggregate a country by AS.

There is probably some UX work to do here, but the core functionality is
there.

Thanks,
Iain.