[metrics-team] Demo: relay, bridge, and PT graphs all on one page

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Aug 20 21:00:50 UTC 2017

Hi David,

sorry for the late response!

On 2017-08-10 19:01, David Fifield wrote:
> Please see:
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/metrics-country.html
>
> Whenever I look at one of these metrics graphs, I almost always want to
> look at the other two:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-country.html
> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-combined.html
> But it's cumbersome to always manage three tabs and keep the date ranges
> synced between them. So I made the above page that puts them all
> together.
>
> It uses JavaScript but you could in principle do the same thing with
> server-side code. It handles query parameters like the metrics graphs
> do, for example:
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/metrics-country.html?country=tr
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/metrics-country.html?start=2012-01-01
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/metrics-country.html?start=2016-06-01&end=2017-05-01&country=br
>
> It would be better if the space allocated for the vertical axis labels
> were consistent. As it is, if the relay graph goes up to 10,000 and the
> bridge graph goes up to 800, the horizontal tick marks won't exactly
> line up because of different amounts of space allocated on the left.

Nice hack! :)

So, what we should do in the longer term, on the Tor Metrics website, is
to switch to a framework that lets users customize their graphs by
adding whatever data sets they'd like to see and compare. With a dash
board and most popular graphs contributed by the community, etc. But as
you can imagine, we're not there yet.

What we *can* do right now is add a new graph that compares two or three
data sets by default. Like the graphs under "Applications". For example,
we could make a graph "Relay and bridge users by country" with two
graphs in one. That would resolve the issue with non-aligned axes, and
even the different scales would be a non-issue.

But I don't see yet how the top-3 transports by country would fit in
there. That graph is visually quite different from the first two, which
might lead to drawing attention to it and away from the others. Another
reason why I'm hesitant there is that this graph is based on a different
CSV file, so that building such a graph would probably take more time
and not happen as quickly.

What do you think about adding that graph with "Relay and bridge users
by country" for a start? Would that be useful? If so, I'll add a ticket
tomorrow.